Copyright is one of the major intellectual property rights. A simple terms, copyright is a bunch of rights entrusted for creative works such as text, artistic works, music, computer programs, sound recordings and films also termed as “work”. Copyright registration does not protect ideas, concepts, styles or techniques. For example, copyright will not protect an idea for a story or play, but it will protect a script for the same. A registered Copyright prevails throughout India.
What Is Protected Uder Copyright Registration
Literary, dramatic or musical work.
Requirements for Copyright Registration In India
- a) Two copies of the work to be protected under copyright registration.
- b) Name, address and nationality of the applicant.
- c) Nature of the applicant’s interest in the work.
- d) Title of the work.
- e) Name, address and nationality of the creator or author of the work and if the author is deceased, the date of his death.
- f) Year and name of the country of first publication of the work and name, address and nationality of the publisher.
- g) Year and countries of subsequent publications, if any, and names, address and nationalities of the publishers.
- h) Names, addresses and nationalities of the owners of the having rights in the copyright work and the extent of rights held by each owner, together with particulars of assignments and licenses, if any.
- i) Names, addresses and nationalities of other person, if any, authorized to assign or license the rights comprising the copyright.
- j) No -objection certificate from the Trademark Registry.
- k) The applications should be signed by the applicant or the advocate in whose favour a Power of Attorney has been executed. The Power of Attorney signed by the party and accepted by the advocate should also be enclosed.
Benefits and Significance of Copyright Registration
- a) Copyright protection ensures certain minimum safeguards of the rights of authors over their creations, thereby protecting and rewarding creativity.
- b) An owner of the copyright work also has an advantage to either sell or agree for transferring his copyright to someone else whether for free or on the basis of some royalty.
- c) Copyright therefore encourages enterprise and creator of works to helping them to materialize their creative work.
- d) Copyright protection provides benefits in the form of economic rights which entitle the creators to legally get an appropriate financial reward from activities such as making copies, performing in public, broadcasting, use on-line, etc.
Process of Copyright Registration in India:
Copyright exists even without formal registration. However, to secure and reap actual benefits of copyright subject matter, it is advisable to get the work protected under copyright registration. Certificate of copyright registration and entries made in the register of copyrights serve as prima-facie evidence in the court of law that the work is copyright protected.